Thursday, November 3, 2011

Self-Criticism

Gisha of the Clouds, Watercolor and Acrylic

In the past I have been one of the first people out there to say that my work is lacking, and not good enough.  Has this helped me to continue to develop, or has it kept me from achieving and excelling?  I think that it is difficult to create a just standard for evaluating our own art.    

I wonder how many of our known artists from history struggled with this issue.  Georgia O’Keefe at one point destroyed all of her work (she believed it was not good enough) and began again.   Heaven only knows what she destroyed. 

To what standard I wonder, do we measure our own work.  If we are not submitting it to be shown, and entered in competition then we have relatively nothing to say about the matter.  On the other hand, if we submit it to juried shows, and we still do not place, is it inferior, or is it in the correct competition?

If self-doubt it causing you to work harder, then it is good.  If it keeps you from trying to compete and grow, then it is destructive.


No comments:

Post a Comment